TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

4 posters

Holy fuck it's already June! That means summer's here.

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Holy fuck it's already June! That means summer's here. - Page 2 Empty Re: Holy fuck it's already June! That means summer's here.

Post by NebulaJack Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:33 am

HOLY SHIT I STUMBLED ONTO SOMETHING GOOD!

So here's the thing, a dear friend of mine in Corvallis is going to be graduating on Saturday and holding a party afterwards. He posted an event on Facebook and invited me a couple weeks ago, but I didn't get around to asking for time off before today because A) I've been wanting to keep getting more hours lately, B) I've been in a depressive funk and not wanting to leave the house if I don't have to lately and C) The message I posted on the event asking if anyone going could give me a ride to Corvallis didn't get any responses.

Yesterday, during my second of two days off, I decided that I should at least make more of an effort at going. It's been too long since I've seen Dan, and I know I'd be feeling miserable all day at work for not being there. So I gave him a call and asked about transportation. I pointed out that in addition to getting a ride up there, I'd also need a ride back that night or early the next morning so I can be at work by 10am. He started talking with Charlotte (his wife, who I've known even longer and is part of a sort of secondary family that my brother and I became a part of back in our highschool days [long story]) and they offered to buy me a bus ticket back to Eugene if I can get up there.

Today at work I was scheduled from 10am to 2pm. After clocking out, I hung out for a half hour until my boss showed up so I could ask him for the day off. He said I'd have to find someone to cover my shift. Got-me-hired-friend had to decline because he's going to a funeral that day. So I hung around longer to talk with a coworker who was coming in at 3 to ask her, and she had to decline because she's going to a graduation ceremony as well. I took another look at the schedule and noticed that newly-promoted-assistant-manager-lady is only scheduled from 8am-9am on Saturday for a mandatory manager meeting. So I asked her, and she was able to do it. I was so happy I gave her a hug. With that hurdle crossed, I cleared things with boss-dude to clock back in and work from 3 to 8 (making up hours for the later half of my shift on Saturday) and to come in tomorrow from 11-2 (to make up for the front half of the shift).

After getting home, I started calling some other members of the sort of secondary family, and seeing if any of them can give me a ride. I got on the phone with Charlotte, and we started looking at info on amtrak and greyhound which could work for getting me up there Saturday morning. I'd rather go on Friday night so as to sleep over and hang out and go to the ceremony with them. She mentioned the possibility of a ride share. So I said I'd check craigslist tonight, and if I can't find anything by tomorrow night, we'll do the bus option.

After posting to the rideshare page, I decided to take a look at job listings on the off chance that there's something better than working at the pizza factory available. I popped open the Writing list, which rarely has anything posted and all, and lo and behold... THE EUGENE WEEKLY IS LOOKING FOR A CALENDAR EDITOR! The job pays 15 bucks and hour, starting at 30 hours a week and eventually moving up to fulltime with benefits. The ad mentions that the position could be a stepping stone to bigger things. They're accepting resumes through Friday... so if I hadn't decided to make an effort to go see a dear friend, I quite likely would have missed out on this opportunity.

Talk about motherfucking serendipity!
    Patch
    Patch
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

Holy fuck it's already June! That means summer's here. - Page 2 Empty Re: Holy fuck it's already June! That means summer's here.

Post by Patch Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:47 pm

Happy Summer time. Sorry I haven't been around much. Schools out so my wife and kids are home. So we have been hanging out and enjoying no school. By the end of summer I'll be ready for it to start lol.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:38 pm

kegs wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:Maybe it's me, but this year seems to have been moving pretty fast (with the possible of the presidential primary, which feels like it's taking forever). March and February don't seem so far back, and now summer's here. Yeah, I know that summer doesn't "technically" start til the 21st, but I don't think Nature gives a fuck about us puny humans and our silly calendars. In the past week, it's been hot enough that I can't think of it as spring any more.

So now that summer's here, anyone got any plans?

Well here the summer season usually seems to start with the Grand Prix (which I have no interest in) but at that point the weather is usually at the no going back now stage.
    No major plans, but I'm hoping to get further on a lot of the projects that I had started and never got around to doing for one reason or another.  I'm probably going to head out the Montreal Comicon when it rolls around. Maybe head out the jazzfest for some people watching at the free outdoor concerts.

and you, Nebs?

I'm gonna try to get more exercise. A couple weeks back I decided it was a good day to go ride my bicycle, but when I got into the garage, the tires had gone flat. I'm not sure if I just need to pump them up or get them patched. Once I get that sorted, I'm gonna try to make a habit of taking one or two rides a week.

I also want to do a camping trip with some friends, because it's been too long since I did that.

Speaking of concerts, Weird Al's coming to Eugene at the end of next month. I'm tempted to splurge on a VIP ticket, which includes a meet and greet after the show, but those are 270.00 which is a bit steep. I'll probably just settle for getting a cheap ticket on the Lawn.
    kegs
    kegs
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by kegs Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:36 pm

NebulaJack wrote:Maybe it's me, but this year seems to have been moving pretty fast (with the possible of the presidential primary, which feels like it's taking forever). March and February don't seem so far back, and now summer's here. Yeah, I know that summer doesn't "technically" start til the 21st, but I don't think Nature gives a fuck about us puny humans and our silly calendars. In the past week, it's been hot enough that I can't think of it as spring any more.

Well here the summer season usually seems to start with the Grand Prix (which I have no interest in) but at that point the weather is usually at the no going back now stage.
    No major plans, but I'm hoping to get further on a lot of the projects that I had started and never got around to doing for one reason or another. I'm probably going to head out the Montreal Comicon when it rolls around. Maybe head out the jazzfest for some people watching at the free outdoor concerts.

and you, Nebs?
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Holy fuck it's already June! That means summer's here. - Page 2 Empty Holy fuck it's already June! That means summer's here.

Post by NebulaJack Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:34 am

Maybe it's me, but this year seems to have been moving pretty fast (with the possible of the presidential primary, which feels like it's taking forever). March and February don't seem so far back, and now summer's here. Yeah, I know that summer doesn't "technically" start til the 21st, but I don't think Nature gives a fuck about us puny humans and our silly calendars. In the past week, it's been hot enough that I can't think of it as spring any more.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 9:36 pm