TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+3
kegs
NebulaJack
Patch
7 posters

Thankful Thanksgiving

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Thankful Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

Post by NebulaJack Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:10 am

Hi gang. A few quick thoughts:

Thanksgiving was great this year. My dear friends Dan and Charlotte came down from Corvallis, and scooped me up to go to Lebanon for Dinner with Dan's parents. At the end of the night, we went back to their place and Dan gave me a ride home in the morning.

Black Friday is a sucky pile of smashed assholes, and I was glad to not be a part of it this year beyond witnessing slightly shittier than usual driving at the Delta Oaks 4-way turn where I work. My Friday included coming home in the morning and being awake way earlier than usual, playing Fallout 4 on the computer in my room mate's room (since she's cool with me doing that when she's not here), going to work, coming home, playing more Fallout 4 and going to sleep.

Got my 3rd Math Exam back today. Got 57% which equals F, but my grades are good enough that it only dragged me down to a C overall. I'll have to knuckle down for the Final, but I think I can pull it off.

I started a new thread for December, which I kinda feel is needed now that Thanksgiving is in the rearview. This message will be somewhat repeated over there.
    Patch
    Patch
    Achieved rank by cheating

Post by Patch Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:27 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:For anyone who might be interested, Tonight's episode of Muppets has Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Dave Grohl.

Also Gonzo *might* shoot himself out of a cannon.

I tried couple of episodes. Just didn't like it. I will add I wasn't a fan of the original that much either
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:15 am

For anyone who might be interested, Tonight's episode of Muppets has Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Dave Grohl.

Also Gonzo *might* shoot himself out of a cannon.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:03 am

Sleverin wrote:I don't see any signatures.  Are they discouraged/disabled?

Good to go. You will need to select the attach signature box below in your post options
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:48 pm

Sleverin wrote:I don't see any signatures.  Are they discouraged/disabled?

Patch is the architect of this place. he have a couple of us "administrator" titles, but I'll be honest and say I know little about the nuts/bolts of this thing. He'll probably check back in on us in the morning and might have a solution for you.
    Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Post by Sleverin Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:32 pm

I don't see any signatures. Are they discouraged/disabled?
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:09 pm

]

I don't mind being helped out.  Working together.  That's fine, that doesn't bother me.  If I have a carload of groceries, come help me unload it.  I just don't like the idea that a man won't want me if I'm not helpless, even if it's just pretend.  That I have to wait for a man to do things for me, so he feels like a man and can therefore be interested in me.[/quote]

And that book seems to be giving an opposite message-- "when you think so little of him as to try to MAKE him do things for you."
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:09 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:I was listening to the radio the other day, and they were giving someone advice on ways to attract a man.  Basically, it boiled down to "quit being so independent and capable, and let a man take care of you."  Never turn down letting a man carry your bags, never turn down letting a man do this or that for you, because a man needs to feel needed.  They tell some story about a friend who was successful and bought a nice house, and then her boyfriend comes over and decides since she is so successful, she doesn't need him, and breaks up with her.  I guess the moral was, don't buy anything for yourself and have a man do it.  

Anyway, I started to get pissed off.  If a man won't be interested in me because I can open my own pickle jar, then good riddance.  I want a man to be interested in ME, not interested in doing things for me.  So maybe it's for the best that I repulse men from afar, so I don't have to deal with this nonsense.

You got to quit listening to that morning show. I'm betting it was the Kidd Kraddick show. I had it on for a few miles while I was driving up to thanksgiving and it was terrible.  It was like "here's this buzzfeed article I found five minutes ago. I have nothing interesting or insightful to say about it, but let's talk about it for ten minutes any way."

Apparently, there's a whole book about it. "Get the Guy." Something like that. That gives tips. Do this or that when you meet a man, DO NOT use such and such words when sending a text.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Patch wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:

Anyway, I started to get pissed off.  If a man won't be interested in me because I can open my own pickle jar, then good riddance.  I want a man to be interested in ME, not interested in doing things for me.  So maybe it's for the best that I repulse men from afar, so I don't have to deal with this nonsense.

My wife brought that up when we were dating.  I wouldn't say she got offended by it but she did tell me I didn't need to open doors for her, or pickle jars.  I told her if shes uncomfortable with me doing that sort of stuff, I'll stop. I'm perfectly aware she was capable of doing everything. I just enjoyed doing it for her. After that it never came up again. I still open every door for her.

I just want her to know I think enough of her to do it for her. So I don't buy into that radio advice.

I don't mind being helped out. Working together. That's fine, that doesn't bother me. If I have a carload of groceries, come help me unload it. I just don't like the idea that a man won't want me if I'm not helpless, even if it's just pretend. That I have to wait for a man to do things for me, so he feels like a man and can therefore be interested in me.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:07 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:I was listening to the radio the other day, and they were giving someone advice on ways to attract a man.  Basically, it boiled down to "quit being so independent and capable, and let a man take care of you."  Never turn down letting a man carry your bags, never turn down letting a man do this or that for you, because a man needs to feel needed.  They tell some story about a friend who was successful and bought a nice house, and then her boyfriend comes over and decides since she is so successful, she doesn't need him, and breaks up with her.  I guess the moral was, don't buy anything for yourself and have a man do it.  

You got to quit listening to that morning show. I'm betting it was the Kidd Kraddick show. I had it on for a few miles while I was driving up to thanksgiving and it was terrible. It was like "here's this buzzfeed article I found five minutes ago. I have nothing interesting or insightful to say about it, but let's talk about it for ten minutes any way."

Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:01 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:

My wife brought that up when we were dating. I wouldn't say she got offended by it but she did tell me I didn't need to open doors for her, or pickle jars. I told her if shes uncomfortable with me doing that sort of stuff, I'll stop. I'm perfectly aware she was capable of doing everything. I just enjoyed doing it for her. After that it never came up again. I still open every door for her.

I just want her to know I think enough of her to do it for her. So I don't buy into that radio advice.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:27 am

One item ordered for Secret Santa has arrived!
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:08 am

I was listening to the radio the other day, and they were giving someone advice on ways to attract a man. Basically, it boiled down to "quit being so independent and capable, and let a man take care of you." Never turn down letting a man carry your bags, never turn down letting a man do this or that for you, because a man needs to feel needed. They tell some story about a friend who was successful and bought a nice house, and then her boyfriend comes over and decides since she is so successful, she doesn't need him, and breaks up with her. I guess the moral was, don't buy anything for yourself and have a man do it.

Anyway, I started to get pissed off. If a man won't be interested in me because I can open my own pickle jar, then good riddance. I want a man to be interested in ME, not interested in doing things for me. So maybe it's for the best that I repulse men from afar, so I don't have to deal with this nonsense.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:42 am

Patch wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:I do not like Black Friday starting on Thursday.  Mainly because it ruins my day of leisurely wandering.  I rarely buy anything, but usually I'll go to Old Navy on TG, and get a pair of jeans that's on sale or something, wander around Michael's, mainly just to get out of the house.  But this year, all the BF deals started Thursday, between 3 and 6 p.m. depending on stores, and it was a nightmare everywhere.  I did make a couple of purchases, we adopt families for Christmas at work and I bought a few things on a sale for that, but it was not an enjoyable time.  

I use to enjoy getting up early on Friday and hitting up deals. The kids were younger and money was hard to come by, so it made sense to take advantage. Once they moved it Thanksgiving day, I was out. Besides, the same deals are online for the most part, so why bother.

The lower spec, door buster TV, isn't worth missing out on Turkey. I saw on the news, people were camping out at Best Buy on Monday. Don't they have jobs? If so, is it really worth burning off a weeks vacations to sit in the rain to save a few hundred bucks?

I did venture to Wal-Mart yesterday to get the kids lunch stuff for this week. I was surprised by the stacks of cheap TV's they had left over. I'm not sure what the price was on Thursday, but these seems affordable on Sunday, and there was no crowd.

Exactly. What you think you are saving in price, you are losing in other things-your time, being with family-hell, you risk getting sick by camping out in a parking lot with a bunch of strangers.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:19 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:I do not like Black Friday starting on Thursday.  Mainly because it ruins my day of leisurely wandering.  I rarely buy anything, but usually I'll go to Old Navy on TG, and get a pair of jeans that's on sale or something, wander around Michael's, mainly just to get out of the house.  But this year, all the BF deals started Thursday, between 3 and 6 p.m. depending on stores, and it was a nightmare everywhere.  I did make a couple of purchases, we adopt families for Christmas at work and I bought a few things on a sale for that, but it was not an enjoyable time.  

I use to enjoy getting up early on Friday and hitting up deals. The kids were younger and money was hard to come by, so it made sense to take advantage. Once they moved it Thanksgiving day, I was out. Besides, the same deals are online for the most part, so why bother.

The lower spec, door buster TV, isn't worth missing out on Turkey. I saw on the news, people were camping out at Best Buy on Monday. Don't they have jobs? If so, is it really worth burning off a weeks vacations to sit in the rain to save a few hundred bucks?

I did venture to Wal-Mart yesterday to get the kids lunch stuff for this week. I was surprised by the stacks of cheap TV's they had left over. I'm not sure what the price was on Thursday, but these seems affordable on Sunday, and there was no crowd.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:10 am

Sleverin wrote:Its my first post.  I'll try not to sound too excited.

Welcome to the party
    kegs
    kegs
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by kegs Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:52 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

I'll be excited on your behalf...

SLEVERIN'S BACK EVERYONE!!!!!

I KNOW!!!

(there was a very nice kermit the frog excited waving his hands in the air gif here, but it just wasn't happening. The internet gods say it"
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:45 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    Sleverin wrote:Why in God's name is that even a thing.  People do not need to be shopping at such a time.  Can't we just have a day where we take a break from insanity and just enjoy our families?

It's ridiculous.  I mean, yea, I liked to go out on Thursday, but mainly to get out of the house, to get some time "alone."  I love my mom, but she does not understand the word privacy.  But the "Black Friday shoppers" are nuts.  There were people in my hometown (and probably elsewhere, I'm sure) that they showed on the news, camped outside of Target, and they had shirts made.  For Black Friday shopping.

I went to Toys r Us and bought a board game that was on a pretty steep sale for our adopted family.  I also bought myself Jurassic World and another movie (buy one, get one for $1).  That's it.  I was literally the only person in that store who didn't have an overflowing buggy.  Crowd control was pretty good at Toys R Us, but still, it jammed pack of assholes.  No one can be polite, because you might only be trying to get by them to get to a deal before them!

They had some movies that were buy one regular price, get one for $1. Then other movies that weren't on sale. The bin said $4 and up. There were at least 5 women arguing with the Toys R Us employee that ALL the movies in that bin should be $4, because the sign said $4. He'd say "well, it's $4 and UP, so they are a variety of prices." They disagreed and requested a manager.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:42 am

Sleverin wrote:Why in God's name is that even a thing.  People do not need to be shopping at such a time.  Can't we just have a day where we take a break from insanity and just enjoy our families?

It's ridiculous. I mean, yea, I liked to go out on Thursday, but mainly to get out of the house, to get some time "alone." I love my mom, but she does not understand the word privacy. But the "Black Friday shoppers" are nuts. There were people in my hometown (and probably elsewhere, I'm sure) that they showed on the news, camped outside of Target, and they had shirts made. For Black Friday shopping.

I went to Toys r Us and bought a board game that was on a pretty steep sale for our adopted family. I also bought myself Jurassic World and another movie (buy one, get one for $1). That's it. I was literally the only person in that store who didn't have an overflowing buggy. Crowd control was pretty good at Toys R Us, but still, it jammed pack of assholes. No one can be polite, because you might only be trying to get by them to get to a deal before them!
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:31 am

Last year I bought my coffee making Keurig thing on thanksgiving night. It was an ok experience. Target did a great job managing the crowd.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:28 am

I'll be excited on your behalf...

SLEVERIN'S BACK EVERYONE!!!!!
    Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Post by Sleverin Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:20 am

Why in God's name is that even a thing. People do not need to be shopping at such a time. Can't we just have a day where we take a break from insanity and just enjoy our families?
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:18 am

I do not like Black Friday starting on Thursday. Mainly because it ruins my day of leisurely wandering. I rarely buy anything, but usually I'll go to Old Navy on TG, and get a pair of jeans that's on sale or something, wander around Michael's, mainly just to get out of the house. But this year, all the BF deals started Thursday, between 3 and 6 p.m. depending on stores, and it was a nightmare everywhere. I did make a couple of purchases, we adopt families for Christmas at work and I bought a few things on a sale for that, but it was not an enjoyable time.
    Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Thankful Thanksgiving Empty First post.

Post by Sleverin Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:16 am

Its my first post. I'll try not to sound too excited.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:13 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:Hey, Patch, some of us have been posting on the FB haunt what we like, in case the person who got our name doesn't know us well, etc.  Like do we own a DVD or a bluray player, if we're into anime or comic books, that kind of thing.  Just thought I'd let you know in case you A. wanted to see if your person had posted something and B. in case you wanted to post something.

I'll check it out. I know what I'm planning on getting my victim...I mean my giftee, but if they have something in mind, I can be swayed.

If my SS is one of you here, I'm easy. I like just about everything. Comics, Sci Fi anything, Books, TV shows, movies. I like geeky stuff. I have a Serenity model, Johnny Bravo and Captain Kirk Ninja turtle on my desk.

If that helps any.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 9:01 am