TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+3
kegs
NebulaJack
Patch
7 posters

Thankful Thanksgiving

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating

Thankful Thanksgiving - Page 6 Empty Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:38 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    Patch wrote:While my rant was based on political BS, I've noticed it's everywhere. The local news, morning national shows, they all slant to suit their needs. A cop shoot someone? Don't wait for the details, just run the story and blame the police. Some kid takes a suspicious looking clock to school. Let's make him a celebrity out of him. Had that clock blown up, the same media would have blamed the school for not being more diligent.
    Honestly watching the news now days is no different than trying to learn the truth by reading Facebook posts.  It's all BS trying to create hype from nothing, to get more likes, or in this case ratings.

My wife turns on the news every morning. That's my cue to get out of bed and go make coffee.

That story infuriated me.  A white kid takes apart an alarm clock and mounts it in that kind of pencil case,  he’s looking at Federal charges regardless of his "intentions".

Thus kid did what he did looking to get on the news to play the part of the persecuted minority.

Now that the story has turned on him,  he and his family fucked off to Qatar.

While I personally think the reaction was a bit over the top (I mean, okay, freak out until you know it's not a bomb. But there was no reason to handcuff him), I also think the aftermath reaction was ridiculous. He didn't INVENT anything. Bill Maher showed dozens of youtube videos explaining how to do exactly what this kid did-take the parts out of a clock and put it in something else.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:34 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:We are on day 3 of New Hire working on his training.  Most people are done the first day, even with having to wait for their employee ID.  He has 3 1/2 trainings left (he's finishing one he started yesterday).  Yesterday, he completed 4 and the beginning of a 5th.  He is going to be in here all day.

I have one kid I have to tell him to keep his phone in his pocket or his trainings take all day.  Maybe look in on him and make sure he isn't screwing around.

Oh, no, the guy is in my office. I have it set up so I can see their computer screen from my desk. He's been working on the training. He's just hella slow. You also have to pass the quiz with a 100, or take it over and over until you do. He has to take them many times.

He told me that it's the computer. If he were on his computer at home, he could do this fast, but he's not used to this computer. ?? What the hell does that mean? Monitor, keyboard, mouse. Nothing fancy about them. He's not set up in holographic tube or something.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:00 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:We are on day 3 of New Hire working on his training.  Most people are done the first day, even with having to wait for their employee ID.  He has 3 1/2 trainings left (he's finishing one he started yesterday).  Yesterday, he completed 4 and the beginning of a 5th.  He is going to be in here all day.

I have one kid I have to tell him to keep his phone in his pocket or his trainings take all day. Maybe look in on him and make sure he isn't screwing around.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:58 am

Patch wrote:While my rant was based on political BS, I've noticed it's everywhere. The local news, morning national shows, they all slant to suit their needs. A cop shoot someone? Don't wait for the details, just run the story and blame the police. Some kid takes a suspicious looking clock to school. Let's make him a celebrity out of him. Had that clock blown up, the same media would have blamed the school for not being more diligent.
    Honestly watching the news now days is no different than trying to learn the truth by reading Facebook posts.  It's all BS trying to create hype from nothing, to get more likes, or in this case ratings.

My wife turns on the news every morning. That's my cue to get out of bed and go make coffee.

That story infuriated me. A white kid takes apart an alarm clock and mounts it in that kind of pencil case, he’s looking at Federal charges regardless of his "intentions".

Thus kid did what he did looking to get on the news to play the part of the persecuted minority.

Now that the story has turned on him, he and his family fucked off to Qatar.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:17 am

We are on day 3 of New Hire working on his training. Most people are done the first day, even with having to wait for their employee ID. He has 3 1/2 trainings left (he's finishing one he started yesterday). Yesterday, he completed 4 and the beginning of a 5th. He is going to be in here all day.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:14 pm

While my rant was based on political BS, I've noticed it's everywhere. The local news, morning national shows, they all slant to suit their needs. A cop shoot someone? Don't wait for the details, just run the story and blame the police. Some kid takes a suspicious looking clock to school. Let's make him a celebrity out of him. Had that clock blown up, the same media would have blamed the school for not being more diligent.
    Honestly watching the news now days is no different than trying to learn the truth by reading Facebook posts. It's all BS trying to create hype from nothing, to get more likes, or in this case ratings.

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:30 pm

NebulaJack wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    Patch wrote:I don't normally get political because I'm a firm believer in you can't change anyone's mind after the age of 18.

I do think the media should be held to a higher standard. All of them, crossed the line so long ago it's hardly recognized as a news anymore, but I saw one of the recent attacks on Carson, by CNN and it nuts, the lengths they will go to, to prop up Hillary.

I don't care that they came after him, that's all politics are anymore. But they started the interview with " Dr Carson's polls higher than anyone including Hillary in favorability" Then they throw up the numbers on the screen, but they only show the Republicans he is topping, Hillary and Bernie are left off the chart. I can only assume it's because she came in behind more than just Carson, but it just showed me the lengths they will go to. We will say it, if we have to, but we won't show it in case someone had the volume down on their TV.

End rant.

Yeah,

Fox news is the biased one, amIright?

I notice the same things.  If you are conservative you are automatically *at least* a buffoon and possibly a racist, warmonger, and probable child molester as well.  Meanwhile a liberal candidate can say something just as stupid as the "pyramids were grain silos" thing, and it never gets a mention.

The two things that piss me off most often in politics are A) The way that people attempt to paint their opponents with broad strokes as the worst kind of enemy and B) The bullshit manner in which news organizations (including the Daily Show) try to pretend they're above and apart from things, even going so far as to use the term "The Media" as though it doesn't apply to the well dressed man sitting at a desk in front of a camera being broadcast to hundreds of thousands if not millions of people who brought up the subject.

A good example is Trevor Noah addressing the online anger over the disparity in coverage of Hillary and Bernie. He acknowledges that Bernie is polling higher and getting more buzz online, makes a joke about how it doesn't count online ("which is why you're cousin is still a virgin") and then points out that rather than accept the 'fact' that their opinions don't count because they were delivered via the internet, Sanders supporters have lobbed accusations of conflict of interest by pointing out that CNN, the network which hosted the Democrat debate and declared Hillary the winner (despite their own polls online showing otherwise), are a subsidiary of Time Warner, which is one of her biggest campaign contributors. He then highlights and anonymous tweet accusing him of being a Time Warner puppet since Comedy Central is one of their companies. Noah points out that, no it's not. Comedy Central is owned by Viacom. he makes a few more jokes, and then moves on.

It's a genius move, because in one deft stroke of verbal judo, Trevor Noah sides steps the very relevant question of whether or not Time Warner and CNN have a conflict of interest, while at the same time emphatically implying that any potential conflict can't be applied to him because his show isn't owned by a different Media Corporation than the one being accused. He decides to omit the fact that Viacom is also a big contributor to Hillary's campaign, presumably because he doesn't find that relevant to the story.

I've never really bought into the Daily Shows pretense of objectivity. I put up with it when Stewart was hosting, because I've liked the guy since his MTV days. Now that he's gone, I'm far less enthused with the show.

What bothers me is not so much the fact that the media isn't objective (though I do wish they would just come out and say they were NOT impartial), because, let's face it, most of the people watching a particular news show are not watching to "learn" but watching to have their already formed opinions confirmed. But I'm more bothered that there are people out there who are influenced by 30 second blurbs they see on CNN or Fox or whatever. I can understand seeing something, wondering, and looking into it further if it bothers you, but to take it at 100% face value and base your opinion on that is mind-blowing to me. I can't comprehend how there are people out there with no curiosity, no minds of their own. "I'm not gonna vote for candidate X because candidate Y said in his campaign commercial that X hates women."
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:20 pm

NebulaJack wrote:
    kegs wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:Let's give Thanksgiving it's own thread, shall we?

If we must.  As a Canadian, I find this whole Thanksgiving thread so passé, as we celebrated it on the 12th of October.  Thanksgiving, not the thread.  Canada does not see a reason to celebrate any of our threads.  And even if we did, we would not be celebrating this thread on the 12th of October.  We didn't have time travel technology at that time.  

So does Thanksgiving get overlooked as people get psyched up for Halloween in Canada? Do you guys even celebrate it like we do? I met a guy from the UK once who was surprised at how big a deal Halloween is over here. It seems back home in England it wasn't a big thing at all, and he'd thought the bits in US shows about it were exaggerations until he came here.

A friend of mine was in Germany getting his Ph.D. and he said Halloween was nothing special-no one dressed up, etc. Maybe kids did, I don't know, he didn't have any contact with kids, but his experience was with college kids and the bar crowd.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:17 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    Patch wrote:I don't normally get political because I'm a firm believer in you can't change anyone's mind after the age of 18.

I do think the media should be held to a higher standard. All of them, crossed the line so long ago it's hardly recognized as a news anymore, but I saw one of the recent attacks on Carson, by CNN and it nuts, the lengths they will go to, to prop up Hillary.

I don't care that they came after him, that's all politics are anymore. But they started the interview with " Dr Carson's polls higher than anyone including Hillary in favorability" Then they throw up the numbers on the screen, but they only show the Republicans he is topping, Hillary and Bernie are left off the chart. I can only assume it's because she came in behind more than just Carson, but it just showed me the lengths they will go to. We will say it, if we have to, but we won't show it in case someone had the volume down on their TV.

End rant.

Yeah,

I notice the same things.  If you are conservative you are automatically *at least* a buffoon and possibly a racist, warmonger, and probable child molester as well.  Meanwhile a liberal candidate can say something just as stupid as the "pyramids were grain silos" thing, and it never gets a mention.

The two things that piss me off most often in politics are A) The way that people attempt to paint their opponents with broad strokes as the worst kind of enemy and B) The bullshit manner in which news organizations (including the Daily Show) try to pretend they're above and apart from things, even going so far as to use the term "The Media" as though it doesn't apply to the well dressed man sitting at a desk in front of a camera being broadcast to hundreds of thousands if not millions of people who brought up the subject.

A good example is Trevor Noah addressing the online anger over the disparity in coverage of Hillary and Bernie. He acknowledges that Bernie is polling higher and getting more buzz online, makes a joke about how it doesn't count online ("which is why you're cousin is still a virgin") and then points out that rather than accept the 'fact' that their opinions don't count because they were delivered via the internet, Sanders supporters have lobbed accusations of conflict of interest by pointing out that CNN, the network which hosted the Democrat debate and declared Hillary the winner (despite their own polls online showing otherwise), are a subsidiary of Time Warner, which is one of her biggest campaign contributors. He then highlights and anonymous tweet accusing him of being a Time Warner puppet since Comedy Central is one of their companies. Noah points out that, no it's not. Comedy Central is owned by Viacom. he makes a few more jokes, and then moves on.

It's a genius move, because in one deft stroke of verbal judo, Trevor Noah sides steps the very relevant question of whether or not Time Warner and CNN have a conflict of interest, while at the same time emphatically implying that any potential conflict can't be applied to him because his show isn't owned by a different Media Corporation than the one being accused. He decides to omit the fact that Viacom is also a big contributor to Hillary's campaign, presumably because he doesn't find that relevant to the story.

I've never really bought into the Daily Shows pretense of objectivity. I put up with it when Stewart was hosting, because I've liked the guy since his MTV days. Now that he's gone, I'm far less enthused with the show.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:03 pm

kegs wrote:

If we must.  As a Canadian, I find this whole Thanksgiving thread so passé, as we celebrated it on the 12th of October.  Thanksgiving, not the thread.  Canada does not see a reason to celebrate any of our threads.  And even if we did, we would not be celebrating this thread on the 12th of October.  We didn't have time travel technology at that time.  

So does Thanksgiving get overlooked as people get psyched up for Halloween in Canada? Do you guys even celebrate it like we do? I met a guy from the UK once who was surprised at how big a deal Halloween is over here. It seems back home in England it wasn't a big thing at all, and he'd thought the bits in US shows about it were exaggerations until he came here.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:18 pm

So, I've mentioned before about how Co-worker has been reprimanded for not dressing appropriately.  She's gotten better.  I'm not sure how many pairs of pants she owns, but I've seen her in a skirt, a pair of dress pants, and at least 2 pairs of jeans.  Both pairs of jeans have large patches on the thighs (you boys who have skinny legs may not know this, but when your thighs rub together, it wears down the fabric of your pants, and if you wear those same pants often, you wear a hole.)  I came back from lunch and my boss said that co-worker called in, that she had ripped her pants and was going to have to go buy new pants before she could come back to work.  Which I guess means that she has no clean laundry, or at least something "clean enough" that she could get by with wearing to work for the remaining 4 hours of the day.  

I got a coffee from McDonald's at lunch which is in the same parking lot as Goodwill.  I saw her park and go in Goodwill.  I assumed she was visiting Douchebag Boyfriend, as that is where he works.  But I guess she was instead going there in the hopes of purchasing pants.  She'd be better off going to Walmart, but I guess the fact she has only 4 pairs of bottoms, and 2 of those have giant holes in each leg, is an indicator that she can't spend more than $5 on a new pair.

I feel bad for her, but at the same time, I can't believe that she found herself in this situation.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:44 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

End rant.

Yeah,

Fox is the biased in favor of Republicans. MSNBC is biased in favor of democrats. I don't know about the others, CNN, etc, but I'm sure they are. No one is unpartial any longer.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:00 am

End rant.

Yeah,

I notice the same things. If you are conservative you are automatically *at least* a buffoon and possibly a racist, warmonger, and probable child molester as well. Meanwhile a liberal candidate can say something just as stupid as the "pyramids were grain silos" thing, and it never gets a mention.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:57 am

I don't normally get political because I'm a firm believer in you can't change anyone's mind after the age of 18.

End rant.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:40 am

James.k.Polk wrote:I am, indeed Vegas bound today.

Have a blast. Win big and fly us all out to join you. cheers
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:10 am

I am, indeed Vegas bound today. My flight takes off from Love field around 3:00. Three hours and a little bit later i will be arriving in Las Vegas at around 4:00.

I'm about to get in a shower and throw the last things (phone chargers, toothbrush...) into my carryon bag. I bought a larger suitcase for this trip since I can check the bigger bag for free on Southwest Airlines and the extra day and cool temps mean I am adding an extra set of clothes and apullover jacket thing I found at Burlington.

I figure I will leave the house for Love at around 11:30 which gives me three hours to figure out parking and gates and all that at an unfamiliar airport.

Tonight's only scheduled event is a dinner at an Indian Buffet restaurant. Their web page makes it look like this one is nicer than the one we usually ended up at. But it might not be walking distance from the strip.
    kegs
    kegs
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by kegs Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:33 am

rkwsuperstar wrote: I might care less if I had a drink, though.

This is how I start every morning. Coffee. It helps me care less.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:25 am

kegs wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:New hire is back today.  Hopefully we can finish his training today.  He keeps telling me "oh, I'm done now!" and we look at his transcript and he's only taken one more training.  I know it can take a while, but he has a paper with every required training on it.  If you've only completed 4 of the 10 listed, quit telling me you're done.

You must really miss the days when a boss could hit their workers.

Hitting him won't work. I might care less if I had a drink, though.
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:23 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:New hire is back today.  Hopefully we can finish his training today.  He keeps telling me "oh, I'm done now!" and we look at his transcript and he's only taken one more training.  I know it can take a while, but he has a paper with every required training on it.  If you've only completed 4 of the 10 listed, quit telling me you're done.

You must really miss the days when a boss could hit their workers.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:10 am

New hire is back today. Hopefully we can finish his training today. He keeps telling me "oh, I'm done now!" and we look at his transcript and he's only taken one more training. I know it can take a while, but he has a paper with every required training on it. If you've only completed 4 of the 10 listed, quit telling me you're done.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:55 am

rkwsuperstar wrote: I don't know what the Canadian TG is celebrating-is it also the stealing of land and spread of disease?

They are thankful we stayed south of them and for hockey. That's just my guess, but it's probably correct.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:47 am

kegs wrote:

Sorry, kegs, this is a bit USA-specific. But we are happy to include your TG in ours...as someone educated in US public schools, I don't know what the Canadian TG is celebrating-is it also the stealing of land and spread of disease?
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:37 am

If we must. As a Canadian, I find this whole Thanksgiving thread so passé, as we celebrated it on the 12th of October. Thanksgiving, not the thread. Canada does not see a reason to celebrate any of our threads. And even if we did, we would not be celebrating this thread on the 12th of October. We didn't have time travel technology at that time.
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:29 am

Patch wrote:Morning all. Is Polk Vegas bound today?

This morning I'm taking the kids to school and I get stuck at a light. one of the kids make a remark about the traffic should turn right and I say they would hit that white car, then I notice there is a black truck behind that car and then a white one, then another black one. This goes on for about a dozen cars, white, black, white, black. Then our light changes and every car that turns is white, black, white, black. I know it's the most popular colors but still kind of cool that close to 20 vehicles were all in sync.

It's like a car chase by Mad magazine's White Spy/Blakc Spy organizations.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:06 am

Morning all. Is Polk Vegas bound today?

This morning I'm taking the kids to school and I get stuck at a light. one of the kids make a remark about the traffic should turn right and I say they would hit that white car, then I notice there is a black truck behind that car and then a white one, then another black one. This goes on for about a dozen cars, white, black, white, black. Then our light changes and every car that turns is white, black, white, black. I know it's the most popular colors but still kind of cool that close to 20 vehicles were all in sync.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 9:42 am