TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+3
Sleverin
James.k.Polk
NebulaJack
7 posters

The New Year Approaches.

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk
    Achieved rank by cheating

The New Year Approaches. - Page 4 Empty Re: The New Year Approaches.

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:59 am

theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:I'm gone for a day and when I return you people are talking about drugs, blue plants and ogling a waitress.

FYI I paid fifty bucks for a haircut last week. I went to the place where the cute girl offers you s beer, then cuts your hair, then give you a neck massage and a hot towel.  She asked did I want a facial. Then she spent ten minutes rubbing coconut scented stuff on my face. I was surprised how much the face thing cost, but did not argue. She did a good job.

I tell you this by way of illuminating the waitress ogling thing.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:23 am

Off to Houston for a few days Hopefully it's not as bad as I imagine it will be.
    Got your gift jack. Thanks. Never read them but always wanted to. Polk, I'll get yours over to you soon. Then beers and waitress watching. Lol.
    kegs
    kegs
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by kegs Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:46 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

I go to restaurants based on how cute the waitress is and how nice she is to me. I'll become a regular at those places. I guess that makes me a perv, but at least I try to tip up past 20% in most cases.

Nothing wrong with a cute waitress. My hostess yesterday at lunch was stunning. I behaved and didn't leer. Sat with my back to her station. My son and my ex'es son came to visit and I did notice them looking that direction, more often than not.

Oh I do look in the waitress's direction. I try not to boggle my eyes and try not to drool on the table, but I am not sure you might not think I was leering. I don't know.  People who live alone tend to get creepier as I get older.

How do you know she lives alone? Stalking much? Very Happy
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:41 am

I'm gone for a day and when I return you people are talking about drugs, blue plants and ogling a waitress.
    Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Post by Sleverin Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:54 pm

I see "angel trumpets" and am immediately reminded of warnings a friend gave me when I first started doing drugs. If anyone suggests eating those, don't. A couple of months later, I saw a story in the school newspaper of a first hand student account of them trying it to see what would happen. In short, its obviously very bad. Rushes to the hospital, possible psychotic episodes, and mind scarring hallucinations. Oh right, and possible seizures and death. A real fun time right?

I never really thought about it before, but blue is a rare color in nature I guess. I wonder why there is no reason to reflect the blue spectrum of light? Red and green are amazingly common...eh, whatever. I'm curious but not enough to care to start researching it.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:09 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    He's not the only researcher working on it.  Professors at other universities around the country are, too, and probably in foreign ones.  Creating a new strain, for both recognition and profit.  We create new strains of wheat all the time.  

But yes, several of the strains of hibiscus and angel trumpet that he have created has been sold (patents held by the university).

I understand the developing new strains thing. Especially wheat since we need more productive and hardy strains to feed the planet. Also I remember when A&M developed a yellow onion that was supposed to be so sweet you could eat it like an apple.

Blue flowers seems like more of a vanity/prestige thing.

Also, aren't Texas Bluebonnets blue already?

I misspoke.  Blue is a rare color.  The color blue is not natural in plants, so the few that are blue have some sort of chemical process that I don't understand to give them blue colors.  Everything else is genetically altered.

And yes, vanity and prestige.  But if you could produce actual blue roses, etc., you'd make a hell of a lot of money selling that.  [/quote]

well the Bluebonnets just kind of randomly occurred to me. And they may be more of a violet color that just seems blue by comparison. In any event you're right that blue flowers are very rare and that breeding one would be a big deal. Are there any developments in the field of black roses?
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:23 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    He's not the only researcher working on it.  Professors at other universities around the country are, too, and probably in foreign ones.  Creating a new strain, for both recognition and profit.  We create new strains of wheat all the time.  

But yes, several of the strains of hibiscus and angel trumpet that he have created has been sold (patents held by the university).

I understand the developing new strains thing. Especially wheat since we need more productive and hardy strains to feed the planet. Also I remember when A&M developed a yellow onion that was supposed to be so sweet you could eat it like an apple.

I misspoke.  Blue is a rare color.  The color blue is not natural in plants, so the few that are blue have some sort of chemical process that I don't understand to give them blue colors.  Everything else is genetically altered.[/quote]

And yes, vanity and prestige. But if you could produce actual blue roses, etc., you'd make a hell of a lot of money selling that.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:20 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

Also, aren't Texas Bluebonnets blue already?[/quote]

I misspoke. Blue is a rare color. The color blue is not natural in plants, so the few that are blue have some sort of chemical process that I don't understand to give them blue colors. Everything else is genetically altered.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:04 am

Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

Oh I do look in the waitress's direction. I try not to boggle my eyes and try not to drool on the table, but I am not sure you might not think I was leering. I don't know.  People who live alone tend to get creepier as I get older.

I get that. If I was single I would have taken the seat with a view. I try not to be one of those "just because your on a diet, doesn't mean you can't look at the menu" type of guys, out of respect for my wife.
    .I get that and I rationalize that if I had a nice butt at home to look at I might not indulge looking at the booty in public. Rationalize is the exact right word for this.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:03 am

But yes, several of the strains of hibiscus and angel trumpet that he have created has been sold (patents held by the university).[/quote]

Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:01 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

I get that. If I was single I would have taken the seat with a view. I try not to be one of those "just because your on a diet, doesn't mean you can't look at the menu" type of guys, out of respect for my wife.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:55 am

Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

I go to restaurants based on how cute the waitress is and how nice she is to me. I'll become a regular at those places. I guess that makes me a perv, but at least I try to tip up past 20% in most cases.

Nothing wrong with a cute waitress. My hostess yesterday at lunch was stunning. I behaved and didn't leer. Sat with my back to her station. My son and my ex'es son came to visit and I did notice them looking that direction, more often than not.

Oh I do look in the waitress's direction. I try not to boggle my eyes and try not to drool on the table, but I am not sure you might not think I was leering. I don't know. People who live alone tend to get creepier as I get older.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:49 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:38 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:One of our professors lost both his technicians within about a month-one left to go back to school for a Ph.D. and the other took a higher level job in another project.  He's hired one replacement, and offered the 2nd one to someone that used to work for him.  This guy argued for higher pay, even though he doesn't have a degree which is a requirement for the higher level pay range, and our resident director agreed to raise it a little, but not to the level this guy wanted.  The guy accepted the compromise over the phone and we mailed the offer letter.  We got the signature confirmation card back Tuesday of last week and we have not heard one thing from this guy.  No returned offer letter, no response to any phone calls or texts.  Now, maybe he's no longer interested for some reason, but that's no reason to ignore texts, which is basically burning his bridges for any future employment with anyone out here.  It just seems odd that you would negotiate for more money, verbally accept, and then ignore the job offer you received in the mail 2 days later.

Are you sure he got the mail? I've seen enough stuff disappear from the mail I've sent you and Gonzo. Also it is possible he got the letter, didn't know what it was, and didn't open it. I do that sometimes, a lot actually.

We send it certified, signature confirmation required.  I got the card back last Tuesday, with his signature on it, dated Saturday.  Since he just talked to the professor who told him it was coming in the mail certified, he should have known what it was.  Also, even if he didn't for some reason, he's been called and texted almost every day since, to ask if he's returned it yet, and has not returned one call or text.

So the technical term for this is test he has flaked like a week made croissant.

Well, it's not a test.  But he's jacking around and is about to be un-offered this job.

If it had been me the offer would have already been rescinded. But in my line of work there are a thousand applicants waiting to pounce on an opening.

The professor was trying to give time for the letter to be returned.  Even though the guy never answered a call, he wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.  But today is the deadline.  He called him yesterday and left a message that if we didn't at least hear from him that the letter has been signed and returned by today, we were revoking the job offer.  So we will see.

And while we usually have a pile of applicants, we usually don't have many that are qualified.  This guy does a lot of flowering plants research-he's breeding hibiscus to try to create the first true blue flower (he's had some success)-so he needs someone with some training or education.  And we live in the sticks.

Is there some benefit to having blue his issues flowers? Or is it just one of those "A&M researcher creates..." Things that will get attention and publicity for the university system?

He's not the only researcher working on it. Professors at other universities around the country are, too, and probably in foreign ones. Creating a new strain, for both recognition and profit. We create new strains of wheat all the time.

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:23 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:One of our professors lost both his technicians within about a month-one left to go back to school for a Ph.D. and the other took a higher level job in another project.  He's hired one replacement, and offered the 2nd one to someone that used to work for him.  This guy argued for higher pay, even though he doesn't have a degree which is a requirement for the higher level pay range, and our resident director agreed to raise it a little, but not to the level this guy wanted.  The guy accepted the compromise over the phone and we mailed the offer letter.  We got the signature confirmation card back Tuesday of last week and we have not heard one thing from this guy.  No returned offer letter, no response to any phone calls or texts.  Now, maybe he's no longer interested for some reason, but that's no reason to ignore texts, which is basically burning his bridges for any future employment with anyone out here.  It just seems odd that you would negotiate for more money, verbally accept, and then ignore the job offer you received in the mail 2 days later.

Are you sure he got the mail? I've seen enough stuff disappear from the mail I've sent you and Gonzo. Also it is possible he got the letter, didn't know what it was, and didn't open it. I do that sometimes, a lot actually.

We send it certified, signature confirmation required.  I got the card back last Tuesday, with his signature on it, dated Saturday.  Since he just talked to the professor who told him it was coming in the mail certified, he should have known what it was.  Also, even if he didn't for some reason, he's been called and texted almost every day since, to ask if he's returned it yet, and has not returned one call or text.

So the technical term for this is test he has flaked like a week made croissant.

Well, it's not a test.  But he's jacking around and is about to be un-offered this job.

If it had been me the offer would have already been rescinded. But in my line of work there are a thousand applicants waiting to pounce on an opening.

The professor was trying to give time for the letter to be returned.  Even though the guy never answered a call, he wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.  But today is the deadline.  He called him yesterday and left a message that if we didn't at least hear from him that the letter has been signed and returned by today, we were revoking the job offer.  So we will see.

And while we usually have a pile of applicants, we usually don't have many that are qualified.  This guy does a lot of flowering plants research-he's breeding hibiscus to try to create the first true blue flower (he's had some success)-so he needs someone with some training or education.  And we live in the sticks.

Is there some benefit to having blue his issues flowers? Or is it just one of those "A&M researcher creates..." Things that will get attention and publicity for the university system?
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:03 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

The professor was trying to give time for the letter to be returned. Even though the guy never answered a call, he wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. But today is the deadline. He called him yesterday and left a message that if we didn't at least hear from him that the letter has been signed and returned by today, we were revoking the job offer. So we will see.

And while we usually have a pile of applicants, we usually don't have many that are qualified. This guy does a lot of flowering plants research-he's breeding hibiscus to try to create the first true blue flower (he's had some success)-so he needs someone with some training or education. And we live in the sticks.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:57 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:52 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

Well, it's not a test. But he's jacking around and is about to be un-offered this job.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:42 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:40 am

Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

Hooters is just blah food for way too much money.  Here's a burger and cold ass fries which cost $12 bucks because the girl bringing them to you wears booty shorts. I don't go to Hooters because the girls are trashy and I'm too old to be ogling them. I don't go there because the food isn't good enough to make ogling the trashy girls worth it.

I like their wings. I used to order them out for the Superbowl when I lived in Burleson. Just wouldn't want to sit there like a perv. When I worked in Atlanta, our boss loved that place. We would go after work regularly. I remember us all getting drunk and betting hooter girls we could hula longer than them. Needless to say we all lost $20.

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:40 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

We send it certified, signature confirmation required. I got the card back last Tuesday, with his signature on it, dated Saturday. Since he just talked to the professor who told him it was coming in the mail certified, he should have known what it was. Also, even if he didn't for some reason, he's been called and texted almost every day since, to ask if he's returned it yet, and has not returned one call or text.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:38 am

Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:44 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

Hooters is just blah food for way too much money.  Here's a burger and cold ass fries which cost $12 bucks because the girl bringing them to you wears booty shorts. I don't go to Hooters because the girls are trashy and I'm too old to be ogling them. I don't go there because the food isn't good enough to make ogling the trashy girls worth it.

I like their wings. I used to order them out for the Superbowl when I lived in Burleson. Just wouldn't want to sit there like a perv. When I worked in Atlanta, our boss loved that place. We would go after work regularly. I remember us all getting drunk and betting hooter girls we could hula longer than them. Needless to say we all lost $20.
    Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Post by Sleverin Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:37 pm

Hooters is the closes I've ever been to going to a strip club. I went when I was 18 for laughs and was pissed by the bill. I have better things to do with my money and time.
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:41 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    I'm guessing Mrs. Patch would object to you and me hanging out in a nudie bar.

No I put those days behind me. It was fun when I was young and single. It's just a good way to end up single now. And I ain't that young anymore.
    I would feel like a perv going to Hooters these days.

I'm fairly young and I wouldn't go into a Hooters if you paid me.

I went into Redneck Paradise. It was a travesty and I felt dirty afterward.

Exactly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:20 am