TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+3
James.k.Polk
Patch
NebulaJack
7 posters

Holiday __eers (Ch or J as the case may be)

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating

Holiday __eers (Ch or J as the case may be) - Page 9 Empty Re: Holiday __eers (Ch or J as the case may be)

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:29 am

Patch wrote:I just won Cowboy tickets on Ebay. I know "won" isn't really the case since I am still paying someone for them. I guess it should be, I just beat out several other people for Cowboy tickets.

This is a surprise for my youngest son's Christmas. I wish the boys were playing better, but if they were I probably wouldn't have gotten these lower level seats as cheap as I did. He will be pumped.

Please don't mention it on my real FB in case he's looking over my shoulder.

That's great. Father/son only, or tickets for the whole family?
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Holiday __eers (Ch or J as the case may be) - Page 9 Empty Re: Holiday __eers (Ch or J as the case may be)

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:46 am

Patch wrote:I just won Cowboy tickets on Ebay. I know "won" isn't really the case since I am still paying someone for them. I guess it should be, I just beat out several other people for Cowboy tickets.

This is a surprise for my youngest son's Christmas. I wish the boys were playing better, but if they were I probably wouldn't have gotten these lower level seats as cheap as I did. He will be pumped.

Sounds awesome. Which game?
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:01 am

I just won Cowboy tickets on Ebay. I know "won" isn't really the case since I am still paying someone for them. I guess it should be, I just beat out several other people for Cowboy tickets.

Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:48 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:

The pawn shop one is always kind of heartbreaking, IMO, because most people selling stuff at a pawn shop (not everyone, but a lot of people) are trying to get money to pay a bill (especially there in Vegas) and now they are being told this possession they value is worth $10 or something.

I like American Pickers. They are upfront with the buyers. They are there, they have expenses, they usually offer 50% of the value but if you take in their expense they are probably around 25%-30% profit. They even go back if they hit a big score and give the seller a piece of the profits if they feel they took advantage of them.

The pawn star guys rarely get close to 50% on a offer. I get it, its the pawn business. I have bought, sold, and pawned more than once in my life. I've never gotten more that 25% value on a loan and 35% on a sell. When I buy I always negotiate, because I know their margins give them plenty of room to wiggle.

If I hit the jackpot on a Pawn Stars estimate I'd walk and try to find a buyer. You can always come back and take their offer. I saw one episode where a lady walked in with Faberge egg. She thought it was worth a few hundred. Rick offered her $13000. She took it. You know he sold it for 30 to 40K at least.

Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:35 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    We should organize a north Texas haunt association movie night. We get Arkay and anybody else who wants to and go see Star Wars as a group. Then pizza.

I like it
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:34 am

Kinky Friedman is on the news this morning promoting a CD. I don't agree with everything he says but he is funny.
    Here are the highlights.

I'm 71 but I read at the 73 year old level

One of the songs on the Cd is called Christmas card from a hooker in Minneapolis

You have to be ahead of your time and behind on your rent. That's the only way great stuff gets done.

If Bernie wins, it will be the first time a Jewish family moved into a place that a black family moved out of

Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and one in prison

Jesus loves you, can be very comforting words, unless you hear them in a Mexican prison

And at the end he promoted a birthday bash he is having in Fort worth for charity. He said Ruth Buzzi would be there.

I met Ruth Buzzi last year at her birthday party. There is a little hole in the wall restaurant about 20 miles from here. When you drive by it, it looks like a shack. It's only open Thur- Saturday by reservation only. It seats maybe 20 people. BYOB. The owner was a successful chef in Dallas (if I recall right) he opened up this place. Amazing food, you get a couple of choices and the menu changes often. They cook behind a counter right next to you. Fun atmosphere. We were there when Ruth came in with her party for her birthday. She was very nice, even offered us some of her birthday cake. It was cool.

I guess her Laugh in money was well invested. She has a huge place in the country not far from me. You will see her around town from time to time.

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:57 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:All this talk of reality TV shows about jobs reminds e of a stunningly depressing thought that occurred to me awhile back. The whole point of entertainment is to give the masses what they want. All entertainment fills a gap in people lives, whether it's harry Potter and Lord of the Rings showing us a world of magic that we can't have, or Batman and James Bond showing us actiony lives of adventure that we don't get to live.

So what does this mean when we look at shows about people running pawn shops or towing services?

It means that our economy is so shitty, that looking at other people working productive and well paying jobs is now a form of escapism. That's really fucking sad.

For me, the interest in the Pawn Shop show is the antiques they get to look stupid and bid on. It's like Antiques a Roadshow except they admit the item you have is awesome and cool, but don't pretend it's worth seventy jillion dollars just because it's old and unique. AR always bothered me because they claim these items have this huge value, but it's strictly on their say-so and there's no way to prove the numbers.

Also the pawn shop guys are genuinely interesting, even if they are kind of predators.

Even if it is WORTH whatever they claim, there is no guarantee they are going to get that. Those people cry and whatever and act like they've won the lottery, but the big job now is finding someone who can and will pay them what the old man in the bow tie told them it could be worth.

The pawn shop one is always kind of heartbreaking, IMO, because most people selling stuff at a pawn shop (not everyone, but a lot of people) are trying to get money to pay a bill (especially there in Vegas) and now they are being told this possession they value is worth $10 or something.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:37 am

Patch wrote:Good morning everyone. Hope you all are off to a good start on the week.

I haven't really paid much attention to the Star Wars buzz. I really enjoyed Star Wars when I was a kid. I bet I saw Empire 5 or 6 times in the theater. The sequel prequels ruined all of that. But this morning something clicked when I saw a trailer on TV. I think I'll take the boys to see it over the Christmas break.

We should organize a north Texas haunt association movie night. We get Arkay and anybody else who wants to and go see Star Wars as a group. Then pizza.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:24 am

Good morning everyone. Hope you all are off to a good start on the week.

I haven't really paid much attention to the Star Wars buzz. I really enjoyed Star Wars when I was a kid. I bet I saw Empire 5 or 6 times in the theater. The sequel prequels ruined all of that. But this morning something clicked when I saw a trailer on TV. I think I'll take the boys to see it over the Christmas break.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am

NebulaJack wrote:All this talk of reality TV shows about jobs reminds e of a stunningly depressing thought that occurred to me awhile back. The whole point of entertainment is to give the masses what they want. All entertainment fills a gap in people lives, whether it's harry Potter and Lord of the Rings showing us a world of magic that we can't have, or Batman and James Bond showing us actiony lives of adventure that we don't get to live.

So what does this mean when we look at shows about people running pawn shops or towing services?

It means that our economy is so shitty, that looking at other people working productive and well paying jobs is now a form of escapism. That's really fucking sad.

For me, the interest in the Pawn Shop show is the antiques they get to look stupid and bid on. It's like Antiques a Roadshow except they admit the item you have is awesome and cool, but don't pretend it's worth seventy jillion dollars just because it's old and unique. AR always bothered me because they claim these items have this huge value, but it's strictly on their say-so and there's no way to prove the numbers.

Also the pawn shop guys are genuinely interesting, even if they are kind of predators.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:05 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:

The one I just learned of was on Kegs's list.  I do not understand.  

Quick, we need to think up a show that is about a freaking boring and tedious job...garbage collectors?  Meter readers?

Dry cleaners?  Motel maids? (not hotel, MOTEL)[/quote]

Cell Phone Miner: origins

North Texas Mobile dog groomers: Fifi's Choice

Public library stories

After hours office cleaners
    kegs
    kegs
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by kegs Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:41 am

Nah, People have always liked watching what other people are doing; The only difference is that television adds suspense and drama and fake emotion through editing and music and fabricated situations. I'm sure 99% of what is filmed throughout the day for most of these shows are so dull that even the editing floor doesn't want to deal with it. Take anyone's life and give it to a good production company and it can be made to seem the most fascinating thing ever. It's not sad..it's just television.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:50 pm

All this talk of reality TV shows about jobs reminds e of a stunningly depressing thought that occurred to me awhile back. The whole point of entertainment is to give the masses what they want. All entertainment fills a gap in people lives, whether it's harry Potter and Lord of the Rings showing us a world of magic that we can't have, or Batman and James Bond showing us actiony lives of adventure that we don't get to live.

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:26 pm

The one I just learned of was on Kegs's list.  I do not understand.  

Quick, we need to think up a show that is about a freaking boring and tedious job...garbage collectors?  Meter readers?[/quote]

Dry cleaners? Motel maids? (not hotel, MOTEL)
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:23 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    kegs wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:Did you guys know there is apparently a reality tv show about towing vehicles?  Like, the people who go and tow away vehicles?  A whole show about it?

Holiday __eers (Ch or J as the case may be) - Page 9 QFY4dhb

A show you say?

at least 4 that I can name and I'm sure there are others that I haven't heard of or can't recall.

South Beach Tow
    Lizard Lick Towing
    Nightmare in Tow
    Highway Through Hell

It's a strange, strange world.

One time, I saw a show about the parking enforcement goons in New York. Literally about how they write parking tickets for expired meters and have cars towed if they have too many violations.

The one I just learned of was on Kegs's list. I do not understand.

Quick, we need to think up a show that is about a freaking boring and tedious job...garbage collectors? Meter readers?
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:48 pm

kegs wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:Did you guys know there is apparently a reality tv show about towing vehicles?  Like, the people who go and tow away vehicles?  A whole show about it?

A show you say?

at least 4 that I can name and I'm sure there are others that I haven't heard of or can't recall.

South Beach Tow
    Lizard Lick Towing
    Nightmare in Tow
    Highway Through Hell

One time, I saw a show about the parking enforcement goons in New York. Literally about how they write parking tickets for expired meters and have cars towed if they have too many violations.
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:09 pm

A show you say?

South Beach Tow
    Lizard Lick Towing
    Nightmare in Tow
    Highway Through Hell

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:20 am

Did you guys know there is apparently a reality tv show about towing vehicles? Like, the people who go and tow away vehicles? A whole show about it?

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:27 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

I'm off work tomorrow. Would it help if I donated a thing? Or maybe send a visa gift card for a small amount of the groceries?

Oh, no, thank you, but I wasn't trying to solicit donations from you guys.  I was just griping because I can't really do it at work.  [/quote]

I didn't think you were asking for donations. I still would like to do something. I spent half the day yesterday looking for something to spend money for myself on. I couldn't do it. [/quote]

That's very nice of you. I won't say no (twice, I guess) to someone wanting to help these little guys out. Maybe send a Walmart card? I think there's a fee for those visa cards, and I can use walmart for groceries.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:25 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

I'm off work tomorrow. Would it help if I donated a thing? Or maybe send a visa gift card for a small amount of the groceries?

Oh, no, thank you, but I wasn't trying to solicit donations from you guys.  I was just griping because I can't really do it at work.  [/quote]

I didn't think you were asking for donations. I still would like to do something. I spent half the day yesterday looking for something to spend money for myself on. I couldn't do it. [/quote]

Maybe some kid really wants some alien drawings or a Tmbg DVD.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:24 am

I'm off work tomorrow. Would it help if I donated a thing? Or maybe send a visa gift card for a small amount of the groceries?[/quote]

I didn't think you were asking for donations. I still would like to do something. I spent half the day yesterday looking for something to spend money for myself on. I couldn't do it.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:22 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:I think I've mentioned in the past that at work, we adopt families for Christmas (we work with the local college to find single-parent, low-income students) and we buy presents for the kids (we make a wish tree) and food items for a Christmas dinner.  I'm pretty much in charge of this thing.  We've always had a pretty good response-most if not all wishes are picked in some fashion and I usually get enough donations to buy a good amount of groceries, including a small turkey breast or ham.  

This year, I have been very disappointed.  A large majority of wishes remain un-picked and gifts are due next Tuesday. Hardly any groceries have been donated and I've received little cash donation.  We have the majority of the same employees, so I don't know why the participation is so low this year.  Of course, we always have people who wait until the last minute, but usually not this many.  

Normally, this is a source of joy for me and this year I'm just worrying about not having gifts to give or money to buy food with.  There are 2 children who have had NO wishes picked off the tree.  I'm sad and angry.  Sangry.

Oh, no, thank you, but I wasn't trying to solicit donations from you guys.  I was just griping because I can't really do it at work.  

The parents don't know that we are giving them food donations, all we tell them is wishes for the kids and we do say that we can't always make every wish come true. So if for some reason we can't give them much in the way of groceries, it will still be a surprise to them
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:19 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:I think I've mentioned in the past that at work, we adopt families for Christmas (we work with the local college to find single-parent, low-income students) and we buy presents for the kids (we make a wish tree) and food items for a Christmas dinner.  I'm pretty much in charge of this thing.  We've always had a pretty good response-most if not all wishes are picked in some fashion and I usually get enough donations to buy a good amount of groceries, including a small turkey breast or ham.  

This year, I have been very disappointed.  A large majority of wishes remain un-picked and gifts are due next Tuesday. Hardly any groceries have been donated and I've received little cash donation.  We have the majority of the same employees, so I don't know why the participation is so low this year.  Of course, we always have people who wait until the last minute, but usually not this many.  

Normally, this is a source of joy for me and this year I'm just worrying about not having gifts to give or money to buy food with.  There are 2 children who have had NO wishes picked off the tree.  I'm sad and angry.  Sangry.

Oh, no, thank you, but I wasn't trying to solicit donations from you guys. I was just griping because I can't really do it at work.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:15 am

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:04 am

I think I've mentioned in the past that at work, we adopt families for Christmas (we work with the local college to find single-parent, low-income students) and we buy presents for the kids (we make a wish tree) and food items for a Christmas dinner. I'm pretty much in charge of this thing. We've always had a pretty good response-most if not all wishes are picked in some fashion and I usually get enough donations to buy a good amount of groceries, including a small turkey breast or ham.

This year, I have been very disappointed. A large majority of wishes remain un-picked and gifts are due next Tuesday. Hardly any groceries have been donated and I've received little cash donation. We have the majority of the same employees, so I don't know why the participation is so low this year. Of course, we always have people who wait until the last minute, but usually not this many.

Normally, this is a source of joy for me and this year I'm just worrying about not having gifts to give or money to buy food with. There are 2 children who have had NO wishes picked off the tree. I'm sad and angry. Sangry.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 7:04 am