TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+3
NebulaJack
Sleverin
kegs
7 posters

Dude, check out my new thread(s)!

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating

Dude, check out my new thread(s)! - Page 6 Empty Re: Dude, check out my new thread(s)!

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:15 pm

kegs wrote:
    theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:So we're at that time of year here in Ky where we get two seasons in one day. At the moment it's like Spring out, but by this afternoon/evening it's  supposed to get freezing and snow again. The Ohio Valley is a finicky and indecisive creature.

I'm sure the fact that you have Supergirl as your icon is just coicindental to the fact that I always read Ky as meaning Krypton. It makes my day just that little bit better.

Silly kegs, Kr is the symbol for Krypton on the periodic table. Oh, wait, no. You don't mean science stuff. I'll just go back to my nerd cave.
    kegs
    kegs
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Dude, check out my new thread(s)! - Page 6 Empty Re: Dude, check out my new thread(s)!

Post by kegs Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:05 pm

theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:So we're at that time of year here in Ky where we get two seasons in one day. At the moment it's like Spring out, but by this afternoon/evening it's  supposed to get freezing and snow again. The Ohio Valley is a finicky and indecisive creature.

I'm sure the fact that you have Supergirl as your icon is just coicindental to the fact that I always read Ky as meaning Krypton. It makes my day just that little bit better.
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:44 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    Patch wrote:

We went from warm to cold again. You can keep the snow

Yea, no snow, thanks.  While I don't mind it being cold in the winter, I hate when it's 86 one day, 65 the next day, and 45 the day after that.

that's typical weather here.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Patch wrote:

Yea, no snow, thanks. While I don't mind it being cold in the winter, I hate when it's 86 one day, 65 the next day, and 45 the day after that.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:31 pm

theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:47 am

So we're at that time of year here in Ky where we get two seasons in one day. At the moment it's like Spring out, but by this afternoon/evening it's supposed to get freezing and snow again. The Ohio Valley is a finicky and indecisive creature.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:41 am

I little something to boost you through the rest of this week.

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:33 am

New to Facebook. Like button, love button, haha, sad, wow, and angry. Hover over the like button to see your choices.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:24 am

Sleverin wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    I'm currently reading the dark tower series.  I started with one and have been plowing through them.  about 2/3 done with 7 which is massive, and then 2 more to go.  I don't know why I never read them as a kid, I read several other of King's books.

I'm not a huge King fan so I never read his novels.  I know a lot of people like the Dark Tower series.  As I mentioned in the FB group, I'm getting a good collection of stories to rest the ol' noggin after all this hard work lately.  Are the Dark Tower books really good?  Passably entertaining?  Immensely dense?

They can be a little dense. It's not nearly as much information to retain as Song of Ice and Fire, but eventually several of his other books start to become part of the story and then King himself becomes a minor character.
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:11 am

Patch wrote:
    theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:Talking about Abraxas now? I'd hate to think what you people say about me when I am not around.

Nothing we wouldn't say to your face, or I guess your avatar.

I pile on Gallen because we are not wrong. I haven't seen a comment here that we have not witnessed him doing. I don't do much but like the occasional comment of Abraxas. I don't know him, I'm sure hes a nice enough guy in the real world. He seems to be playing a character most of the time I see his posts.

We are a tighter group here. There isn't a one of you I wouldn't try to meet up with and grab a beer if I was in your area.

No worries Doctor G. We cool. Don't think I've ever said anything negative about you...except perhaps doubting the verisimilitude of your Dr. credentials. Smile
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:03 am

NebulaJack wrote:
    Sleverin wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    I'm currently reading the dark tower series.  I started with one and have been plowing through them.  about 2/3 done with 7 which is massive, and then 2 more to go.  I don't know why I never read them as a kid, I read several other of King's books.

I'm not a huge King fan so I never read his novels.  I know a lot of people like the Dark Tower series.  As I mentioned in the FB group, I'm getting a good collection of stories to rest the ol' noggin after all this hard work lately.  Are the Dark Tower books really good?  Passably entertaining?  Immensely dense?

It really is a great series. His best work by far. I'd recommend trying the original version of the first book and if it doesn't grab you, go for the rewritten version. The original is written in an older, middle english style that was a turn off for some readers, so he rewrote in his modern style to match the rest of the series after he finished book 7.

Some of the stuff that connects to it is worth reading for the wider connections, others not so much. The ones that I'd call a must before reading the 7th book are Insomnia and Black House. they offer up some semi-crucial details that give interesting hints at what's going on in the end. The seven books work find without anything else. I know there's at least one gap filler between 4 and 5, and there might be others.

Also, the comics that cover Roland's youth are brilliant stuff.

Also, if you've not read it, The Eyes of the Dragon are tangentially related to The Dark Tower series and is well worth the read.

Also I think I quit Anne Rice around Merrick, or perhaps it was Blood and Gold (which ever it was I only read it because I needed something to read on an 8 hr plane ride)
    I liked the Mayfare witches series and the the cross-overs were good if I recall.

Now I'm just waiting for the newest Harry Dresden novel by Jim Butcher, The Thorn of Emberlaine by Scott Lynch, the latest in the War Against the Chtorr series by David Gerrold and finally, Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:36 am

theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:Talking about Abraxas now? I'd hate to think what you people say about me when I am not around.

Nothing we wouldn't say to your face, or I guess your avatar.

I pile on Gallen because we are not wrong. I haven't seen a comment here that we have not witnessed him doing. I don't do much but like the occasional comment of Abraxas. I don't know him, I'm sure hes a nice enough guy in the real world. He seems to be playing a character most of the time I see his posts.

We are a tighter group here. There isn't a one of you I wouldn't try to meet up with and grab a beer if I was in your area.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:42 am

We make sure to speak Enochian so as to be indecipherable to mortal ears.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:39 am

James.k.Polk wrote:Anyone ever read Anne Rice's take on vampires?

At first they're just a supernatural monster. Then in the second book, she reveals that an Egyprian queen was attacked by an incorporeal spirit that essentially killed her and was able to inhabit her body just as she died.

Every vampire in that world is her offspring, which is weird because the demon that inhabits her is the same one animating every other vampire. If she dies, all other vampires die too.

Which might be where Whedon got the idea for finishing off the Chitauri invasion of New York.

I was just thinking last night that the scepter that Loki uses, which houses the Mind stone, could have been what turned the Chitauri into a hive mind race, and thus the death of their mother ship rippled through all of them.

As for Rice, I liked the first 5 books of the Vampire Chronicles, could never get into the rest of the series. It feels like the series was meant to end with Mnemnoch the Devil and kept going because she likes money. After she did her Jesus fan fic, one person I know felt ripped off. As though Rice was pretending to be a wiccan then sold out to Jesus.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:35 am

Sleverin wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:

It really is a great series. His best work by far. I'd recommend trying the original version of the first book and if it doesn't grab you, go for the rewritten version. The original is written in an older, middle english style that was a turn off for some readers, so he rewrote in his modern style to match the rest of the series after he finished book 7.

Some of the stuff that connects to it is worth reading for the wider connections, others not so much. The ones that I'd call a must before reading the 7th book are Insomnia and Black House. they offer up some semi-crucial details that give interesting hints at what's going on in the end. The seven books work find without anything else. I know there's at least one gap filler between 4 and 5, and there might be others.

Also, the comics that cover Roland's youth are brilliant stuff.
    Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Post by Sleverin Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:36 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:

I'm not a huge King fan so I never read his novels. I know a lot of people like the Dark Tower series. As I mentioned in the FB group, I'm getting a good collection of stories to rest the ol' noggin after all this hard work lately. Are the Dark Tower books really good? Passably entertaining? Immensely dense?
    Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Post by Sleverin Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:33 pm

Because I hate Anne Rice but like the idea of vampires, the show "The Fades" had a very interesting vampire dynamic. they were ghosts who couldn't get into heaven and one of them is tired of wandering between life and death aimlessly. He figures out a way to become more and more corporeal until he fully reanimates and then goes around eating people and converting them into vampires as well. Some of the main characters have powers (or abilities really, they're not like Superman) to combat these monsters or keep them at bay. Its really amazing but only 6 hour long episodes. The BBC decided not to renew it after the season which sucks because the main character has prophetic visions of ash covering the Earth and some crazy shit happens in the last five minutes of the show and its such a massive cliffhanger. Such a neat concept and it sadly didn't get the ending it deserved. If you like supernatural shows that aren't trying to be too angsty, too dark but still brooding, and has a really neat concept I highly recommend it.
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Talking about Abraxas now? I'd hate to think what you people say about me when I am not around.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:26 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:

At first they're just a supernatural monster. Then in the second book, she reveals that an Egyprian queen was attacked by an incorporeal spirit that essentially killed her and was able to inhabit her body just as she died.

Every vampire in that world is her offspring, which is weird because the demon that inhabits her is the same one animating every other vampire. If she dies, all other vampires die too.

Which might be where Whedon got the idea for finishing off the Chitauri invasion of New York.

I liked Interview with a Vampire.  But the other novels, I just couldn't get into.  I did like the Mayfair Witches novels at first, but then they got boring or something...maybe boring isn't the right word, but I lost interest.

I couldn't make it 1/3 of the way through Memnoch the Devil.

Anne Rice just keeps getting weirder as she gets older.  The Vampire Lestat is the second book and worth a read if you see it more as a dysfunctional historical gay vampire romance

Maybe I'll try again. Start with the one I liked, then the 2nd...maybe queen of the damned. the movie was weird, but not too bad, if I pretended it wasn't about lestat and all that. keep going and see how I feel then.

I'm currently reading the dark tower series. I started with one and have been plowing through them. about 2/3 done with 7 which is massive, and then 2 more to go. I don't know why I never read them as a kid, I read several other of King's books.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:21 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:

I liked Interview with a Vampire.  But the other novels, I just couldn't get into.  I did like the Mayfair Witches novels at first, but then they got boring or something...maybe boring isn't the right word, but I lost interest.

Anne Rice just keeps getting weirder as she gets older. The Vampire Lestat is the second book and worth a read if you see it more as a dysfunctional historical gay vampire romance
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:22 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:19 pm

I liked Interview with a Vampire. But the other novels, I just couldn't get into. I did like the Mayfair Witches novels at first, but then they got boring or something...maybe boring isn't the right word, but I lost interest.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:02 pm

Anyone ever read Anne Rice's take on vampires?

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Heisenberg compensator sounds like the person who has to write the paycheck for the guy from Breaking Bad.

Groan.
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:10 pm

NebulaJack wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    kegs wrote:

Blood doesn't need calories for a vampire. Vampirism is a curse and therefore blood sustains the vampire mystically , not biologically. Now zombies; they can't exist. Except for voodoo zombies.

Exactly.  I can accept that it's magic. Much like I can accept something called a warp drive will make you go really really fast, simply because the person who wrote it, says it does. I can also accept that in a dystopian future, people are  totally fine with sacrificing their young to a fight in an arena, only to be disappointed that nothing comes of it and they have to do it again. Wait... that sound like the Bachelor.

You might like the YA novel I plan to write someday as a parody of stuff like that.

THE GAME OF THE NAME

When the world is finally brought under a united rule of law, the emperor of Planet America moves onto addressing one of the biggest problems facing humanity, overpopulation.

Laws are passed that no two people can have the same first name. Everyone who has a name shared by another person must enter a series of death matches until only one remains. John is getting ready for his first melee, but he doesn't like the way of the world, and neither does his best friend Mary. Together they will spark a revolution that is somehow expected to succeed even though the organized military might of the rest of the world has succumbed to the American Empire because... love and youth are powerful things or some shit.

"Carl, you must fight to the death against....(drum roll)...Carl!"
    "Um.. it's Karl"
    "What?"
    "MY name. It's Karl. With a K. So he can't fight me."
    "Oh. Well do we have any more Carls? Anyone? Anyone?"
    *crickets*
    "I'm Carlos. Will that do?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:01 am