TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+2
James.k.Polk
rkwsuperstar
6 posters

Autumn Approaches

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk
    Achieved rank by cheating

Autumn Approaches - Page 7 Empty Re: Autumn Approaches

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:56 am

Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

WHY ARE WE GETTING another MISFIT GENIUS SHOW?

It's the new lawyer drama/medical drama/cop drama. I'll credit them for finally finding something, besides these 3, to write about but still not interested. Chuck, Psych and Monk were more comedies and I enjoyed all 3 of them.
    Adding to your list, the Mentalist, whatever that new Sherlock Holmes rip off is called and Numbers. I watched 1 episode of all of these so I could be wrong, but that's what I took from them.

I liked Psych quite a lot until I moved and declined to get cable in my current place.

I liked Monk but I think it lost something after the character Sharona left.

Never got into Chuck.

Thanks for the additional names-- I knew I was forgetting a bunch of these. I know there are even more that would fit the broad definition of Misfit Genius show but I am blanking on the lot.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:40 am

kegs wrote:

Hey Polk, did you stop drinking? I can't recall the last time I saw a beer review from you.

The same could be said about Coffee Girls. Was there an escape?
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:31 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

It's the new lawyer drama/medical drama/cop drama. I'll credit them for finally finding something, besides these 3, to write about but still not interested. Chuck, Psych and Monk were more comedies and I enjoyed all 3 of them.
    Adding to your list, the Mentalist, whatever that new Sherlock Holmes rip off is called and Numbers. I watched 1 episode of all of these so I could be wrong, but that's what I took from them.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:09 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:CBS is previewing their fall primetime lineup tonight.

There's a show called "Limitless" which is about a guy who is given a drug that opens up "100%" of his brain.

Two things-- WHY are they still trotting out that "we only use 10% of capacity" trope?

And...

It's worth noting, that this show is based on a movie of the same title that starred Bradley Cooper. It came out a few years ago, and was quickly forgotten. Why the hell anyone would want to make a show on a movie that had such a barely measurable impact is beyond me.

Onto your queries. The whole "we only use 10% of our brain" thing keeps getting trotted out for a few reasons. It's one of those bullshit facts that "feels true". It seems like something that makes sense if you don't give it much critical thought. It's also one of those ideas that give us a vague sort of hope for the future, because "oh golly, if we could only figure out how to tap into that other 90%, then just think of all the things we could do!"

As for why we're getting another "misfit genius" show, that's because it's an easy story/character to do. Along with the "surly cop who's seen to much misery to be anything but a sour grump" or "the cold hearted bastard/bitch who needs someone to help him/her open up and embrace love" or "seemingly ordinary guy who has a deep dark past and is secretly a total bad ass", it's one of those stock characters that comes in the basic starter pack for simple hack writing.

James.k.Polk wrote:One last thing.

I'm having a hard time getting inspiration.

I have this evening off and tomorrow.

It would be a good time to draw something, but I am uninspired.

Anyone have a request?

There's a subreddit that I make use of for writing exercises called "writing prompts". It's handy for finding a good seed for a story. Take a look and see if any of the prompts inspire you to draw something.

https://www.reddit.com/r/writingprompts

Also, there's a sale at the humble bundle store for a game I've been thinking about trying, but I'm tight on money right now. Looking for feedback on if I should get it now, or wait till the steam winter sale.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/thetalosprinciple_storefront

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:49 pm

One last thing.

I'm having a hard time getting inspiration.

I have this evening off and tomorrow.

It would be a good time to draw something, but I am uninspired.

Anyone have a request?
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:43 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:CBS is previewing their fall primetime lineup tonight.

There's a show called "Limitless" which is about a guy who is given a drug that opens up "100%" of his brain.

Two things-- WHY are they still trotting out that "we only use 10% of capacity" trope?

And...

Previous misfit genius shows...

Chuck
    House
    Monk
    Psych
    all of the NCIS/CSI variants
    Scorpion

That's all I can think of but I'm sure there's something else...

Who wants to add more misfit genius show entries?
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:39 pm

CBS is previewing their fall primetime lineup tonight.

And...

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:36 pm

NebulaJack wrote:Hi guys. I've got a math placement test tomorrow, to try and test into the final class I need to get my associates degree (and then eventually transfer over to U of O or some other school to pursue a bachelor's) and I'm not sure I've studied enough for it. I'm really nervous about the whole thing, but taking the day to try and relax and not worry too much. How's your labor day treatin' ya?

Also, new poll is up.

I was always very iffy at math. Had my confidence rocked when I was in second grade and the teacher threw the concepts of <> at us.

I went home and cried. My older sister Paula eventually calmed me down and explained them to me. But math and I were already enemies at that point.

Don't even get me started on trying to master the multiplication tables in third grade...
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi guys. I've got a math placement test tomorrow, to try and test into the final class I need to get my associates degree (and then eventually transfer over to U of O or some other school to pursue a bachelor's) and I'm not sure I've studied enough for it. I'm really nervous about the whole thing, but taking the day to try and relax and not worry too much. How's your labor day treatin' ya?

Also, new poll is up.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:12 am

James.k.Polk wrote:Also why are you taking a poll for the gun thing?   I post these Land of the Lost reviews and nobody asked for those...
    LOTL reviews are always welcome. I just figured I gauge the interest
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:12 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

I tried Elk diner at lunch once and was disappointed.  Felt like second rate home cooking.

Never had their lunch, but their breakfast was better than most
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:51 am

Also why are you taking a poll for the gun thing? I post these Land of the Lost reviews and nobody asked for those...
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:50 am

Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

I say this as iIain't for my pancake breakfast at Our Place restaurant in Burleson.  Hypocrisy...

Our place breakfast is worth it.  I didn't find that place until right before we moved but it's good.  The Elk diner is another good breakfast spot there.

I tried Elk diner at lunch once and was disappointed. Felt like second rate home cooking.

But I was pissed becaus I had just arrived and got a message to be on a mandatory conference call in 30 minutes which might have lowered my enjoyment
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:47 am

kegs wrote:

Vote from me too. Especially if you also include fictional guns.

Lucky for you I'm an expert in making shit up so fictional gun reviews should be easy.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:43 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

I say this as iIain't for my pancake breakfast at Our Place restaurant in Burleson.  Hypocrisy...

Our place breakfast is worth it. I didn't find that place until right before we moved but it's good. The Elk diner is another good breakfast spot there.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:27 am

I'd also read a gun review. I'm probably not in danger of buying a weapon., but shooting your gun was fun.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:25 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    kegs wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:
    Patch wrote:Thought about making a section for gun reviews. Not sure any of you would care so 3 votes yes and I'll do it. Otherwise I'll just go shooting.

You've got one vote from me. So that's two more to go.

Hey Polk, did you stop drinking? I can't recall the last time I saw a beer review from you.

About a year ago my doc put me on metformin.  Which a diabetes medicine.  Since then I have tried like hell to cut down on sweets and alcohol.  I  don't mean to suggest I've had any success losing weight,  but I  am trying to keep my health iI check.  I still get a beer once or twice a month.

I say this as iIain't for my pancake breakfast at Our Place restaurant in Burleson. Hypocrisy...
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:24 am

kegs wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:
    Patch wrote:Thought about making a section for gun reviews. Not sure any of you would care so 3 votes yes and I'll do it. Otherwise I'll just go shooting.

About a year ago my doc put me on metformin. Which a diabetes medicine. Since then I have tried like hell to cut down on sweets and alcohol. I don't mean to suggest I've had any success losing weight, but I am trying to keep my health iI check. I still get a beer once or twice a month.
    kegs
    kegs
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by kegs Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:11 pm

NebulaJack wrote:

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:37 pm

Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:23 pm

Thought about making a section for gun reviews. Not sure any of you would care so 3 votes yes and I'll do it. Otherwise I'll just go shooting.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Yesterday's episode of "Land Of The Lost"

Elsewhen-- written by D.C. Fontana

Holly meets a mysterious woman in Enik's cave. Will and are futzing around in the Sleestak caverns (which never ends well) and this statuesque blonde woman named Rani just pops out of Enik's time portal.  She gives Holly some crystal-powered amulets she says will allow her to communicate with Rick and Will in times of emergency.  They talk about Holly's fear of heights, and Rani gives her advice on being brave and helping her family when they need her.

Rick and Will have discovered what they think might be an underground pylon.

Long story short, Holly is left dangling from a rope we find out is suspended over the upside-down Land Of The Lost. Her dad and brother are captured by Sleestak and thrown into the pit with the Sleestak god.  Holly has to climb the rope back up to the right-side up side of the Land Of The Lost and rescue Rick and Will from the Sleestak pit.

She goes back to Enik's cave and meets Rani again. Holly figures out that Rani is her future self who came through the portal to help herself master her childhood fears.

Holy crap-- Holly basically grows up to be a hot Timelord.  And calls herself Rani.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:29 pm

NebulaJack wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:I found out yesterday that I won an iPad mini in last month's sales contest.  

My store hit 97% or goal,  which as good.  If we'd sold a few more tablets I might have won a big screen Samsung TV. I'll probably swap this Android tablet for the iPad mini when it arrives.  And I'll pretend it's a birthday present that came early.

Congrats! Also, what day is your birthday again?

Oh it's on october 4. I'll expect facebook Happy Birthday messages.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:42 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:I found out yesterday that I won an iPad mini in last month's sales contest.  

My store hit 97% or goal,  which as good.  If we'd sold a few more tablets I might have won a big screen Samsung TV. I'll probably swap this Android tablet for the iPad mini when it arrives.  And I'll pretend it's a birthday present that came early.

Congrats! Also, what day is your birthday again?
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:33 am

I found out yesterday that I won an iPad mini in last month's sales contest.

My store hit 97% or goal, which as good. If we'd sold a few more tablets I might have won a big screen Samsung TV. I'll probably swap this Android tablet for the iPad mini when it arrives. And I'll pretend it's a birthday present that came early.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content