TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+2
Patch
Sleverin
6 posters

April fools thread

Patch
    Patch
    Achieved rank by cheating

April fools thread - Page 7 Empty Re: April fools thread

Post by Patch Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:50 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

Since her stroke, she's been living in a nursing home and it seems she contracted a UTI that *might* have developed into sepsis before the caregivers at the nursing home noticed.  She was dehydrated and they pushed a lot of fluids into her.  My older sister has a "take it as it comes" attitude, kind of like me, I guess.

I'm a confirmed stoic.  When my father died it was in similar circumstances.  I didn't get super-emotional about it.  My older brother broke down and cried at the funeral.  I did not.  I honestly wonder if I will feel the loss and want to cry when she goes, or if it will hit me days, weeks or even years later.

I'm a terrible person who worries that I won't cry when my mother dies.

I'm sorry to hear that. That has to be tough on you. I don't think it makes you terrible if you can't cry. I think it's probably has something to do with when we were raised. The "Men don't cry" "rub some dirt on it" attitude of the 70's and 80's was pretty much the norm when we were kids. I know I have a hard time showing emotion when there is a death in the family. My ex commented on it at my sisters funeral. She didn't understand why I wasn't crying.

I found out yesterday my step father has throat cancer. He's upbeat and confident he can beat it. I hope that's the case. I'm not sure what my mother would do without him. She also had a stoke a few years back. She can get around, but is limited. My step dad does all the cooking, driving and day to day stuff.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:51 am

NebulaJack wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:I found out in a very roundabout fashion that my mom is in intensive care and that the doctors are not optimistic.

Since her stroke, she's been living in a nursing home and it seems she contracted a UTI that *might* have developed into sepsis before the caregivers at the nursing home noticed.  She was dehydrated and they pushed a lot of fluids into her.  My older sister has a "take it as it comes" attitude, kind of like me, I guess.

I found out about this all when my brother posted a "pray for my mother" thing on the Facebook.  No one had reached out to me.  I guess they didn't want to stress me out or maybe they just determined it was serious enough to be hospitalized today and they didn't want to be premature about things.

Anyway, I think it might be a blessing if she goes ahead and passes.  Her quality of life is not very good at this point.

I don't know how I feel about any of this.  I'm pretty stoic and I *think* I am emotionally prepared for whatever happens.

Anyway thanks for letting me put this out in a place where only people I trust hang out.

My heart goes out to ya buddy.

I'm a confirmed stoic. When my father died it was in similar circumstances. I didn't get super-emotional about it. My older brother broke down and cried at the funeral. I did not. I honestly wonder if I will feel the loss and want to cry when she goes, or if it will hit me days, weeks or even years later.

I'm a terrible person who worries that I won't cry when my mother dies.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:12 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:I found out in a very roundabout fashion that my mom is in intensive care and that the doctors are not optimistic.

I found out about this all when my brother posted a "pray for my mother" thing on the Facebook.  No one had reached out to me.  I guess they didn't want to stress me out or maybe they just determined it was serious enough to be hospitalized today and they didn't want to be premature about things.

Anyway, I think it might be a blessing if she goes ahead and passes.  Her quality of life is not very good at this point.

I don't know how I feel about any of this.  I'm pretty stoic and I *think* I am emotionally prepared for whatever happens.

Anyway thanks for letting me put this out in a place where only people I trust hang out.

My heart goes out to ya buddy.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:31 pm

damn.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:48 pm

I found out in a very roundabout fashion that my mom is in intensive care and that the doctors are not optimistic.

Since her stroke, she's been living in a nursing home and it seems she contracted a UTI that *might* have developed into sepsis before the caregivers at the nursing home noticed. She was dehydrated and they pushed a lot of fluids into her. My older sister has a "take it as it comes" attitude, kind of like me, I guess.

I found out about this all when my brother posted a "pray for my mother" thing on the Facebook. No one had reached out to me. I guess they didn't want to stress me out or maybe they just determined it was serious enough to be hospitalized today and they didn't want to be premature about things.

Anyway, I think it might be a blessing if she goes ahead and passes. Her quality of life is not very good at this point.

I don't know how I feel about any of this. I'm pretty stoic and I *think* I am emotionally prepared for whatever happens.

Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:42 am

NebulaJack wrote:So I found out from my room mate last night that our new room mate is gonna be moving out soon. He wasn't clear on the details, so I'll have to talk to new roomy, but the shift in budget means I've had to scuttle the plans for going to that convention in Seattle... damn it.

That sucks. Maybe it's time for a change in scenery. TX maybe? It's nice for the next month or so. Then it turns into hell for a few months. But think of the killer tan you can get.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:16 am

So I found out from my room mate last night that our new room mate is gonna be moving out soon. He wasn't clear on the details, so I'll have to talk to new roomy, but the shift in budget means I've had to scuttle the plans for going to that convention in Seattle... damn it.
    Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Post by Sleverin Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:09 pm

Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

Houston sucks.  even my love of TMBG could not salvage this mess.

Yep. my last 2 trips haven't been awful, but still worse than going anywhere else in TX. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy yourself.

Always reminds me of King of the Hill:
    An envelope is returned from the post office. Hank reads the address,"Cotton Hill...hell, USA? Bobby why'd you write this?! You know your grandfather lives in Houston!"
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:37 pm

I went out long enough to get my laundry done and while I was out bought a big ass pork roast I could use for dinner and for lunches the rest of this week. Then I came back home and went back to bed.

I still feel like my head is full of pudding but I think I might be turning the corner on this thing.

I knew I didn't feel quite right on Friday, and I still pushed myself to go to damn Houston. If TMBG hadn't been warning that they would not be touring any more for "a couple of years" I might have chosen to skip this concert.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:12 pm

I got up early. Got my work all caught up. Loaded up the guns, ammo, safety gear, checked my optics, got my bench rest out, loaded up a chair, staple gun for targets, drove out to the range...and it was closed.

April fools thread - Page 7 0NSWLJj
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:05 pm

Anyway, it was an interesting read, if Polk or Supes get the chance. (I assume the rest of you would have a hard time getting one in your states, and Gonzo can't read Razz )[/quote]

You son of a...
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:58 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:I was already thinking of getting something from Supergirl for Gonzo. As for Arkay, I've something special in mind.

Tell ya what Polk, if there's not a guest you're wanting an autograph from, I'll find the goofiest, funnest comic I can to send your way.

Also, when I say that the show was a bust, and I meant the overall experience, rather than the performance itself. I tend to think of a show as being the whole experience, rather than just the band's set.

Then again, I didn't realize how expensive those autographs might be until I noticed prices just now... yikes. No promises, but I'll try for something if I can swing it.

yea, i am in awe of how much some guests charge for their autograph.  I'm a child of the 80's-if they have something inexpensive related to Jem, She-Ra, Rainbow Brite.  I'll be glad to send you some money.

I have no doubt they have to share photo fees with the photographer
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:57 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:if anyone has a need, apparently Gallen is an expert in the U.S. constitution and constitutional law.

OK but does he know why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal?

i'm sure he can come up with some pompous explanation.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:51 pm

NebulaJack wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:I was already thinking of getting something from Supergirl for Gonzo. As for Arkay, I've something special in mind.

Tell ya what Polk, if there's not a guest you're wanting an autograph from, I'll find the goofiest, funnest comic I can to send your way.

Also, when I say that the show was a bust, and I meant the overall experience, rather than the performance itself. I tend to think of a show as being the whole experience, rather than just the band's set.

Then again, I didn't realize how expensive those autographs might be until I noticed prices just now... yikes. No promises, but I'll try for something if I can swing it.

Go through some of the dollar comix boxes. Look for 2001 space Odyssey comics. Bryce is looking to complete a collection of those.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:46 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:

yea, i am in awe of how much some guests charge for their autograph.  I'm a child of the 80's-if they have something inexpensive related to Jem, She-Ra, Rainbow Brite.  I'll be glad to send you some money.

I wonder how much of their autograph fees they have to share with the convention organization.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:44 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:if anyone has a need, apparently Gallen is an expert in the U.S. constitution and constitutional law.

OK but does he know why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal?
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:30 pm

NebulaJack wrote:

yea, i am in awe of how much some guests charge for their autograph. I'm a child of the 80's-if they have something inexpensive related to Jem, She-Ra, Rainbow Brite. I'll be glad to send you some money.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:25 pm

if anyone has a need, apparently Gallen is an expert in the U.S. constitution and constitutional law.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:23 pm

Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

Yep. my last 2 trips haven't been awful, but still worse than going anywhere else in TX. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy yourself.

at least it wasn't in july. july in houston is a terrible punishment.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:28 am

Texas Monthly has a "Guns" issue this month.
    It's really interesting. It talks about the long history of guns in Texas. From the history with the Texas Rangers to the current gun debate. Both Liberal and Conservative views expressed and for the most part, both are done well.

The first target of the 1966 UT tower shooter, an 18 yr old pregnant woman, who now fights against campus carry and a woman who carried illegally for her protection, until she became worried she would lose her business if she was caught. She stopped carrying before the 1991 Luby's shooting and watched her parents die.
    They speak to a NY cop who was in a shoot out and his gun saved his life and a soldier who had an accidental discharge after years of training, showing just how quickly a error could become deadly.
    They speak to family of a mentally ill son who was able to buy guns due to the fact he was of age and refuse to seek treatment. His family and the police were unable to do anything to prevent him from buying. He ended up killing his father with a knife, so even though he didn't need a gun to do what he planned, it shows the loophole that can allow crazy people to get guns.

One point I liked to see was the crime rate for legal carriers. Less than 0.1% of aggravated assaults were committed by CCl's and 1.4% of murders in the state. So 99% of the people able to legally carry a firearm, are not committing crimes. You see a lot of crazy numbers that try and justify taking guns away from people who are law abiding.

Anyway, it was an interesting read, if Polk or Supes get the chance. (I assume the rest of you would have a hard time getting one in your states, and Gonzo can't read Razz )
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:46 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:10 am

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:06 am

I was already thinking of getting something from Supergirl for Gonzo. As for Arkay, I've something special in mind.

theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:37 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

I would pay money for Supergirl's autograph.

Will you shut up I'm trying to get one free for you ya big dummy.
    [/quote]

I would pay money for Supergirl's autograph panties. There. Cool
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:33 am

I would pay money for Supergirl's autograph.[/quote]

Will you shut up I'm trying to get one free for you ya big dummy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 8:07 pm